Panos Theodorou, Ph. D.
Associate ProfessorOffice: 109
Office hours: Tuesday 17:30-18:30, Thursday 17:30-18:30
Phone: 28310 77204
PANOS THEODOROU (1965) holds a degree in Physics from the Aristotle University of Thessalonica (Greece) and a Master’s degree in History and Philosophy of Science from the National Technical University of Athens (Greece). In 2000 he was announced Doctor of “Philosophy of Science and of Philosophy in General” at the National Technical University of Athens, after defending successfully his dissertation with the title:
- Thought Experiments: A Husserlian-Phenomenological Analysis of their Structure as Intentional Acts and of their Place in the Science of Physics (in Greek).
He is now lecturer at the University of Crete (Greece) and also teaches the course “The Sciences of Nature and Man in Europe’’ at the Greek Open University.
He is author of:
- Perception and Theory as Practices: Phenomenological Researches in the Meaning of Objectivity (Kritiki Pub., 2006).
He has translated in Greek:
- the corpus of the texts written by Husserl and Heidegger for the ‘Britannica Artikel’ project, and has conducted an introduction to these texts as well as detailed interpretive comments on them. (Kritiki Pub., 2005)
Recently, he completed a translation of
- Edmund Husserl, The Crisis of the European Sciences (Parts I and II), including Introduction and comments (Nisos Pub., forthcoming).
He has, also, published articles in English and Greek on Husserl, the phenomenological reductions, the relation between Husserl and Heidegger, the meaning and content of a phenomenological philosophy of science, etc.
A. In English:
- «Of the Same in the Different. What is Wrong with Kuhn’s Use of ‘Seeing’ and ‘Seeing-as’», Journal for General Philosophy of Science (Zeitschrift für allgemeine Wissenschaftstheorie) 35 (2004), pp. 175-200.
- «Perceptual and Scientific Thing: On Husserl’s Analysis of “Nature-Thing” in Ideas II», The New Yearbook for Phenomenology and Phenomenological Philosophy 5 (2005), pp. 165-187.
- «Perception and “Action”: On the Praxial Structure of Intentional Consciousness», Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 5 (2006), pp. 303-320.
- «Heidegger’s search for a phenomenological Fundamental Ontology in his 1919 WS, vis-à-vis the Neo-Kantian Philosophy of Values», Phenomenology 2008, (forthcoming).
- «Husserl’s Project for a Normative Phenomenology of Emotions and Values», in Ivo De Gennaro (ed.), Values: Readings and Sources on a Key Concept of the Globalized World, Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2011 (forthcoming).
- «A Solution to the ‘Paradoxical’ Relation Between Lifeworld and Science in Husserl,» Phänomenologische Forschungen (forthcoming).
B. In Greek:
- «Heidegger and the Phenomenological Reductions in Husserl», Deucalion 17/2 (1999), pp. 277-308.
- «The Problem of the Phenomenological Reductions in the Phenomenology of E. Husserl», Deucalion 19/1 (2001), pp. 27-60.
- «Scientific and Philosophical Thought Experiments. The Abstract and the Concrete-Situational of their Corresponding Subject Matters», Deucalion 22 (2004), pp. 203-232.
- «Perception and Science as Practices. For the Praxial Structure of Intentional Consciousness», Neusis 14 (2005), pp. 78-101.
- «The Phenomenology of Anxiety and the Nothing. Fundamental Ontology and Logic in M. Heidegger», Ypomnima 5 (2006), pp. 33-69 (in Greek).
- «Phenomenological Elucidation of Heidegger’s critique to the Neo-Kantian Theory of Values (during his courses of 1919)», Axiologika 19 (2008), pp. 123-145.
Among his talks, under various circumstances, are the following:
- «Thought Experiments and Scientific Concept-Formation», International Society for Hermeneutics and Science, Budapest, 1994.
- «Computation, Intentionality, and Economy Routines», National Technical University of Athens, 1999.
- «The Ontological and the Practical Function of Anxiety», University of Athens, 2002.
- «Kant on Analytic Truths. Connections, Problems, and Prospects», University of Patras, 2004.
- «The Question of the Apriori Re-stated and Revisited», University of Crete, 2005.
- «The Question of Categoriality in Husserl’s Analysis of Perception and Heidegger’s Reception of It», Annual Husserl Circle Meeting (Prague, 2007).
- «On Heidegger’s critique of the Neo-Kantian philosophy of Values», Work-meeting: «Formal and MaterialAxiology in Phenomenology and Existentialism» University of Crete, September 2008.
- «Falling in emotions: the Phenomenology of Political Failure in Plato’s Republic,» Conference: «Phenomenology and Ancient Greek Philosophy: Reappraisal and Renewal», University of Crete, June 2010.